Wednesday 19 March 2014

First Read through

Today we began the process of putting on our all girls cast version of 'As you like it'. We began the session by being told our concept. We are an all girls independent school in the 50's , kept from certain poetry , songs and litreture we have a climbing frame in school where we go to escape these regulations. There the play as you like it is found and we begin the play. I thought this was a really interesting concept and really ties are all girl cast into the play. Furthermore I think the climbing frame set will work really well to create a visually pleasing ensemble piece.

I have been cast as Touchstone and the first reading we did in our rehearsal was the first time i properly heard my lines next to others. As Touchstone speaks in riddle yet points out very important points I see i have a big challenge. It will be hard to make sure that I get my head around my lines and can speak them with meaning through the riddle yet simulateonlsy remain playful and fun.

After reading the play as a class i understood the events much more clearly. I feel with Shakespeare due to the difficult language it is really hard to read all parts to yourself like a book. When we all read the words really began to come to life and i was able to understand what the characters meant through there long descriptive paragraphs of speech.

This first rehearsal has got me through roughly excited for the play , i now must study Touchstone as a character and his lines in order to really start connecting to the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment